The Club Runs are the heart and soul of Mid Devon Cycling Club (MDCC) giving us the opportunity to meet on an informal or social basis, organise a lift to the next event and, most importantly to simply ride our bikes.
MDCC has a Club Run to suit everyone. Routes are not always published in advance of the day. The ride leaders will often take a view on the morning and decide. An explanation of each of the rides can be found below
- MDCC runs a social ride every Sunday at 9.00 am from Abbrook, Strap Lane, Kingsteignton,TQ12 3JG. The rides are approximately 30 miles at an average speed of 10-12 mph with a midway coffee stop. Routes are often hilly so you will need a road bike or light hybrid. Our riders are a friendly bunch and you don’t have to be a member for the first couple of rides. Just come along and see if you like it. I’m sure you will. Please arrive at 8.50 and ask for the Social Ride. There will be lots of cyclists around as there are seven different rides leave from the same destination. If you are driving to the start please allow yourself plenty of time as there is no on-site parking so you will need to find road parking. Please park considerately as the local residents don’t take too kindly to being woken early on a Sunday morning. Please ensure you have a drink and at least one spare tube in case of a puncture. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info
The Social Ride rota
- E Run (40 miles @ 12 – 14 mph) is a mix of the Social Run and D Run and provides a longer route for the social riders or a slightly shorter route for anyone with time commitments.
- D Run (50 miles @ 14 mph) is for anyone who wants a good challenge but isn’t interested in the competitive side of things. They do regroup after large climbs but try to keep on the move.
- D1 (50 miles @ 15 mph) rides are offering a stepping stone to riders not quite at C pace but those still interested in events. They wait at the top of large climbs but generally keep moving. Most runs will be around 50miles but where they are longer they will post details in advance.
- C Run (60 miles @ 16 mph) is a taster for anyone thinking of the A Run/racing and needs to build on fitness but at a (slightly) more relaxed pace.
- B Run (70 miles @ 18 mph) is normally a mixture of racers/fit recreational riders
- A Run (70 miles @ 20 mph average) is the fastest group aimed primarily at the racers. You need to be experienced at this level to join this run. In the summer, this ride often merges with B Run (at B Run pace)
Club Runs leave from Abbrook Park, Kingsteignton, TQ12 3PS every Sunday morning at 0900 (unless otherwise stated) and it’s recommended everyone arrive at 0845. If it’s your first time there will be experienced club members there to tell you more about the club, the rides available and also indicate the right ride for you. Everyone must have a roadworthy bike, a couple of spare inner tubes, a pump, 3 tyre levers and some money for the cafe stop. We always stop for refreshments at a local café. This gives everyone the opportunity to exchange banter, relive past glories or contemplate the new racing season.
- Breeze Run MDCC proudly supports Breeze Rides for Women, a British Cycling initiative to get more women on bikes. There are regular Breeze rides from Abbrook on Sunday mornings. These Free rides cater for all abilities and are run by qualified ride leaders. For details of rides in your area and to book on please visit www.breezebikerides.com. Also visit our Facebook page Breeze Network Devon & Cornwall.
- Saturday E/Social Rides run weekly from the visitors’ car park at the rear of Forde House, Brunel Road, Newton Abbot., TQ12 4XX. These rides are approx 30 miles, also with a midway coffee stop, but a slightly faster pace as they are for stronger social riders and our E riders (the group above Social). The average will be about 12 mph but they are a very friendly bunch and won’t ride off and leave anybody. Rides may split on the hills but they will keep together on the flat sections and a back marker will be appointed to make sure that nobody is left behind.If you would like any further information, please contact email@example.com for more info >2017 Saturday Ride Info here<
- Tuesday/Thursday – 09.00 ride at 14 m.p.h with no cafe stop and home for 12.30, latest.
- Tuesday Chain Gangs. These fast training rides mainly aimed at the A, B & C runs leave every Tuesday evening at 7pm from Abbrook throughout the summer.
Remember to wear suitable clothing and wrap up warm in the winter months. If you are having a bad day or a mechanical problem the group will wait for you and ensure you safely reach your destination. You don’t need to think about joining the club until you’ve attended two or three club runs but see our membership page for all the benefits of becoming a member. Many people ride to the meeting place as parking is not currently available at Abbrook. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org