Welcome to the Mid Devon Cycling Club
MDCC Mission Statement – WHERE WE ARE NOW
Mid Devon Cycle Club is a community resource giving open access, supporting and promoting cycling for all, across a wide range of cycling activities to people in Devon and beyond. The club: –
- Offers substantial physical and emotional health benefits including a broad social programme
- Nurtures diversity
- Provides coaching, funding and facilities to aspiring competitive cyclists
- Contributes to improvement of the environment by influencing positive change.
MDCC Vision Statement – OUR ROAD MAP FOR THE FUTURE
Mid Devon Cycling Club will be an exemplar of a modern and progressive community Sports Organisation; a centre of excellence unlocking the potential of all its members and providing opportunity for fun and good mental and physical wellbeing.
Mid Devon Cycle Club will: –
- Secure growth in numbers and breadth of cycling activity whilst exhibiting commitment to its proud roots of competitive cycling
- Coach and develop future champions
- Build an expanding portfolio of activity to attract a broader community of interest and enable greater participation
- Provide an improved rewards and recognition process.
- Continue its commitment to its Dartmoor Classic Sportive enabling contribution to relevant local charitable concerns and to the infrastructure needed for development of its aims and of a growth in community hubs in the local area.
- Host national standard cycling events that will be part of the building of MDCC as a recognised leading cycling club in the national context.
- Expand its network of influence across community organisations to bring about positive changes in attitude towards cycling and cyclists in every aspect of society.
- Lobby for suitable engineering and construction work to accommodate the increasing importance of cycling as a means for transportation.
- Contribute to the improvement of the environment by influencing positive change.
We are one of the South West UK’s largest and most active cycling clubs.
Formed in 1930, the club has a rich history and a reputation for producing some of the country’s leading riders including Tour de France riders Colin Lewis and Jeremy Hunt, Yanto Barker and Jonathan Tiernan-Locke.
However the Mid Devon isn’t just about elite competition and the club holds regular club and training rides (at 6 different ability levels), social events and trips to cycling events and sportives. We are a British Cycling registered Go Ride Club and our Club Mark accreditation acknowledges the standards we have met to ensure all our activities are ‘fully inclusive’.
We run a youth section for those aged 8 – 16, which concentrates on developing cycle skills and having fun and support rider through the transition to becoming Junior racers.
We have 6 British Cycling coaches who provide advice and guidance to our youngsters, novices and female members.
If competition is your aim the club is very active promoting events on the local road racing calendar and has an active racing group competing, locally, nationally and on the Continent. The club promotes weekly time trials throughout the summer months and our members regularly compete in regional and national time trial events. Off-Road riders are catered for too, with both mountain bike and cyclo-cross events promoted and a growing number of competitors in this discipline.
Mid Devon CC also promotes the Dartmoor Classic which has rapidly grown into one of the ‘must do’ events on the sportive calendar recently voted as the UK’s NO. 1 Sportive by the readers of Cycling Weekly magazine.
For more information on the club and the different types of cycling we participate in please look at the links above and don’t forget to check out the membership page